Monday, March 14, 2011

The Idea of Fitness

I've been thinking a little bit recently about my pursuit of fitness. No matter what level I reach in my level of fitness, it never seems good enough. I am always finding chinks in my armor and setting goals to chisel them out. This is when I started realizing that "fitness" isn't something tangible that we can achieve... it is only an idea.

Crossfit was very bold in its definition of fitness. Greg Glassman defined fitness as competency in the ten general physical skills: cardiovascular/respiratory endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, coordination, agility, balance, and accuracy. What he didn't say is, "Fitness is when you have reached such-and-such level in each category." So that leaves us with the following question: What constitutes competency? Am I fit because I am above the national average? Am I fit because I have reached a certain standard? Am I even fit at all? If you compare me to Chris Spealler, am I fit anymore?

I really don't think there is an answer to these questions. Fitness is much like intelligence: you can really only measure it to a certain degree, and the only ultimate standard is God Himself. Even Einstein would look dumb if he were standing in a room with God, just as Spealler would look like Justin Beiber if he were standing in a room with God (cheap shot at Beiber, sorry). But my point is that fitness is something that we will never actually achieve, but only an idea that we can push further and further toward. We are always getting closer, but we will never actually get there.

In the meantime, I need to press further towards fitness to get ready for the 2011 Crossfit Games Open! Stay tuned for my results on the workouts.

-Briz

No comments:

Post a Comment