Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Crossfit Open So Far

So the Crossfit Open is underway and the first workout is done and submitted. The first WOD was...

AMRAP 10:00-
30 Double Unders
15 Floor to Overhead (75#)

(Actually they called the lift snatches, but technically it was floor-to-overhead any way)

So I performed this WOD the first Wednesday after it was announced and ended up with 6 full rounds plus 8 power snatches. I did power snatches practically every rep. Upon seeing everyone else's results, I was a little disappointed with how I did. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good enough to be a regional qualifier. I knew I had to try it again. I got a few more workouts in that week, got some good rest, then came back in the following Wednesday to hit it again. My goal was to reach 7 full rounds.

The second time I did it was, I'm not going to lie, epic. The second time through I decided I was only going to do clean and press. This method actually turned out pretty good for me. I was able to get the first 3 sets without stopping at all. However, for some reason, my double unders were really off this day, and only the first and last sets were unbroken. All the other sets had 2-3 breaks in them. It was frustrating, but I tried to keep a clear head.

Anyway, when I was finishing the 5th round and knew time was running up, I was saying to myself, "This is not looking good." In the 6th round I really tried to push through the pain and pick up the pace a little bit. After the 6th round I had 1:30 left to complete one more stinking round.

As soon as I got on the jump rope I knew there could be no breaks, because the lifts were going to take me awhile (my shoulders were beyond fatigued!). By the grace of God, I monstered through all of them unbroken. I was sucking air afterwards, but at least I got all of them. Then I got on the bar and tried to bust out as many as I could without stopping. I could only manage about 5. With little time remaining, I just started muscling the weight up, jumping it overhead, then dropping it every rep. At this pace I was not going to make 7 rounds, so I dug down deep, focused everything I had, and tried to do the final 3 reps unbroken. Then, at the very moment the whistle blew, I locked out the 15th rep. After I dropped the weight by hamstrings cramped up and I collapsed in a heap on the ground. I was in pain, but ecstatic that I made my goal of 7 rounds.

I couldn't believe how many times some people repeated the workout. I heard one competitor did it 13 times! I can't even imagine trying to do that workout on a consecutive basis. Not only were my traps crazy sore, but I just don't want to deal with that mentally. I put everything I had into both performances, and I want to walk away from it knowing I did my best. If I did it again I might have squeezed out a few double unders, but I just didn't want to go through it again. It's only the first workout anyway. I want to be proud of my accomplishment and just move on to the next; no stress, no frustration.

When I submitted my result that day, I was 42nd in the South Central Region. By that Sunday, however, I had dropped to 70th, because of all the people submitting their times or doing it over again.

Anyway, the next WOD has just been announced!

AMRAP 15:00-
9 Deadlifts (155#)
12 Pushups
15 Box Jumps (24")

This one looks pretty good. I can't wait to try it! I'll be back later to update y'all on my progress.

-Briz

No comments:

Post a Comment